Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Dentist and I

I went to the dentist today. An appointment I keep every 6 months. I'm kind of starting to realize that this is more frequent than most adults see the dentist if there's nothing bothering them but I try to do it for a couple reasons:

1. Because I'm still on my parent's insurance and I can

2. Because growing up I had really bad teeth. I had cavities every time I went. I even had a couple root canals on baby teeth. Ridiculous right? Thanks to growing up and (relatively) regular brushing and flossing I seem to have it under control but I'm still paranoid that if I don't stay out in front of it my teeth will just turn black and fall out.

Going to the dentist for me is always an ironic experience. I hate going to the dentist. I don't really like having my teeth cleaned and I REALLY don't like having anything beyond that done. But I love my dentist's office. Here's a list of things I like about the dentist:

  • The receptionist and hygienists. I've been going to the same dentist for years and years. They've known me a long time. They know every member of my family and what order we all come in. When Ryan was gone they always asked how he was. They know what my degree is in. They know I have a boyfriend. They know I moved to Ohio. And now they know I'm back. I feel like I could almost count them as friends. Except most of my friends don't put their fingers in my mouth. MOST of them. (hee).
  • While the music that plays is the softest rock that's ever existed and makes me want to cry with boredom there are tv's in the ceiling which if I'm just going in for a cleaning I usually don't bother with but if I'm having something more serious done its a nice way to pass the time and a good distraction when the drill and clamps are at work. Yuck.
  • The nitrous oxide. Nuff said.
  • I really like that heavy apron they put on you when they do your x-rays. Is that weird? I always want them to just leave it on me.
  • The warm towel they give you to wipe your face when you're done.

Now here's the stuff I don't like about the dentist:


  • Everything else.

The rest is just varying degrees of super unpleasant to downright painful. It sucks and I hate it.


But I go all the time. What's wrong with me?

The other thing that I find incredibly ironic about going to the dentist is I go in feeling fine. No problems with my mouth whatsoever. They'll tell me I have a cavity. So I go in to get it fixed. I leave. The spot they worked on now bothers me. What the crap? Are they just making stuff up? Like there isn't enough dental problems in the world they have to make up work to do in my mouth. Stupid. I'm pretty sure the Bartons alone have paid for Dr. Gleave's second home in St. George.

Sigh.


4 comments:

Tali Nay said...

I agree 100%. Except I can't even find one positive thing about el dentist. I feel like they absolutely make stuff up, they hurt you, and then shame you for having gums that bleed while being scraped aggressively by metal instruments. My 6 month appt is today...a post will follow.

sadie said...

Enjoy the luxury of going to the dentist. Those were the days. We don't have dental insurance, and I'm not sure you want me to admit how long it's been since I've been.

I've even stopped brushing and flossing my teeth in protest. That'll show 'em.

Jillian said...

Hey, I just joined the Dr. Gleave patient list! I hadn't been to the dentist in 6 years so I had to randomly pick one to go to and he was it! I like it there. Don't hate me, but I still have never had a cavity. DON'T HATE ME I SAID!

Beckie said...

This was...a very funny blog post. Kudos! Or, shall I say, nollys! (captcha)