Friday, October 22, 2010

Meet my friend: Television

With my renewed vigor to blog more I'm going to write a few posts with the theme of "I'm not proud of it, but I'm not too proud to admit it..." Nothing like revealing your flaws to the interwebs eh?

So today's version: I'm not proud of it but I'm not too proud to admit that...I love TV.

I was one of those kids who could tune everything else out to an alarming degree when the television was on. I think my mom worried about my brain turning to mush.

I've always felt some shame over it because growing up my closest friends didn't care much for TV or felt that it was a waste of time, a source of moral decay...etc. Which I'm not going to argue against. Like I said. I'm not proud of it. But I didn't love feeling bad all the time about something I loved.

In college I was always the first (sometimes only) roommate to insist on getting basic cable (I'm talking about fighting for only network stations). The first show that I embraced fully with no shame, and threw a tiny fit if I missed, not caring how shallow it made me look was Alias. I LOVED that show. Eventually I hooked all my roommates and we were all racing home after ward prayer so we didn't miss it. I recall entire weekends shut in devouring whole seasons with friends who had never watched that much TV at once.

When I moved to Ohio TV took on a whole new role in my life. Before I made friends with K and T and a few others, Will was my best friend. But if he was unavailable my only other companion was TV. And I had a DVR which was a first for me. That DVR took my TV watching to a whole new level. I still miss it sometimes.

It bothers me when people have a holier-than-thou attitude about watching TV. Like they are too good for it or have so many other better things to be doing. I would argue that just because you can't see the merits in it doesn't mean there aren't any. If you really don't like to watch TV fair enough. But don't look down on me because I do. Humans have always sought entertainment...oral story tellers, theater, literature, movies and within the last century the most accessible and diverse form of all, television (which was invented by a Utahan by the way).

Today, I admit to it as a part of who I am. I am a TV watcher. I could live without it but I don't want to. I have shows I follow that I look forward to seeing every week. I even love reading about what I watch on TV. I'd like to think that if I eliminated TV from my life I could accomplish great things but the truth is I'd probably just find some other way to waste my time.

So here's to you TV, my loyal companion, and the many hours we will share in the future.

K now I actually feel a little pathetic.

1 comment:

BeckieB said...

Philo T Farnsworth may have invented the TV *in* Utah, but he was actually born in Idaho. I found this out, extremely disappointed, in a Smithsonian exhibit four or five years ago. So ready to assert Utah's awesomeness, I found that the country's most distinguished historical museum actually gives Idaho the credit.

What "the dis." (captcha)