Friday, May 2, 2008

Dear Logan,

Wow, has it really been five years? The time has flown. Well most of the time. It's been great. Really it has. I don't regret anything we did although I do regret some of the things we didn't get to do. You've treated me well. With you I have grown from adolescence to adulthood (or at least some form of quasi-adulthood). I've experienced my deepest heartache and my most blissfully happy moments with you. My heart has grown and I have a better understanding of the world after all this time.
I'm not sad to go. I feel like I have learned all
that I can, or all that I'm willing to learn from you and I feel restless . I need to get away and try something new. I feel too big, or too old for you. I feel like there is something bigger waiting just over the horizon. I don't know what it is but I'm going to go out and meet it rather than sit here and wait for it. I'll miss you. I already do in fact. But you've got to go away to be missed, you know?
It hasn't always been great though. What's with the eternity-long bitter cold winters?...I gotta be real with you and tell you that I can't stand that about you. That's one thing I won't miss.
But just like everything else in life, you only remember the good parts. The sting fades and we'll always have an idealistic memory of the way we were. And knowing my luck whatever I find down the road will probably suck and I'll get super nostalgic for my golden undergrad days. But I've got to find that out for myself...
So before one or the other of us starts to cry I must bid you a heartfelt farewell.

Yours affectionately,

Heather

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come" -- The Beatles

2 comments:

sadie said...

That may have been a little too harsh. I agree with you about Logan's neverending winters, though.

Beckie said...

Tilting on the edge of a similar place myself, I heartily agree. It's been great. But all good things...