Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Period of History

I started teaching today and it was so fun. I think they thought I was the biggest nerd but I was having a good time. My favorite part was when I made a joke about this guy's name (Hammurabi) sounding like "ham" and "wasabi". Worst sushi ever! They just looked at me like they couldn't tell if it was cool/ok to laugh. But it made me laugh for a little bit. And that's what teaching is all about. Laughing at your students. Hopefully they'll get to know me and realize I'm way cool.

Other favorite moment:

The class comes in and writes a response to a question on the board everyday. Last week I wrote "If you could be from any period in history what would it be and why?"

One of the answers was from a girl who said "If I could I would be in 2nd period because most of my friends are in that class period"

hahahahaha. Never underestimate how much sophmores DON'T understand.

Other favorite response:


From a dude: "I would be from before 1983 because then the John Mayer song entitled "83" would be a lot easier to relate to and would make more sense." Pretty sure I'm going to marry this boy.


So fun.

Something that I realized today that is not so fun...If I give the students something to do they're going to give it back to me and then I have to read it, comment and correct it and give it back to them. Essentially I'm creating more work for myself. This makes me wonder why I had so much homework as a kid. Those must have been some masochistic teachers.

And that's my life...love it.

"Come on let me love you just a little bit...I'm gonna teach you how to sing it out" Jackson Five

4 comments:

sadie said...

Heather, that is awesome. I'm so glad you are loving it. I am loving it vicariously.

Plus, please throw some assignments away without ever looking at them. I always did. (I always loved it when they asked if an assignment was going to be graded. I always answered yes but laughed inside. Then I threw all their papers in the garbage. It was a wonderful moment.)

Keep 'em coming.

MollyEmma said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I just made my entire office read about your student responses. HAHAHAHAHA.
-MO

Jillian said...

Oh I just a peed my pants reading that! I'm glad teaching is so fun and I'm glad you don't have to sit there for 8 hours with nothing to do like before. Teens rule.

Beckie said...

Ha ha ha. I don't know what was better Heather, your stories or Sadie's comment. Um, I mean, this is your blog, of COURSE your stories were better.

And you didn't mention the other one: "And down here we see the Arabian Desert -- that's where Aladdin and Jasmine live -- where the ancient.." Ha ha ha! You get three more ha's for a total of six.