Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Free Write

I gave my students the chance to write about whatever they wanted to write about to today. It was interesting to see some of the things they talked about when given the opportunity to say whatever they wanted to. Most complained about school, getting up early or excited to see Twilight this weekend but there were a few gems in the group . Let me share…

Surprisingly I had a poet in the bunch…totally unexpected…he’s the jock type…

“I wish it would snow

So I could go

All the way to see the show.

If it would snow then I could see,

All the snowmen watching me.

With buttons and carrots they stand so tall

Watching everyone hoping not to fall.”

Brought a tear to my eye.

Here’s another. I told them they had to write at least three sentences. This guy barely filled that requirement but at least he did it with unfailing optimism:

“Utah Utes will donimate BYU!! Jazz will go all the way to the finals. I will ace this upcoming history test.”

This one is filled with the kind of drama I was glad to avoid in High School and even I’m more happy I don’t have to deal with now.

“This weekend was so full of drama it was crazy! Girl drama that is. So on Saturday me and some friends were hanging out with Skyline women. Then these girls that we had recent relationships with came and crashed our party. The Skyline girls left, probably because of the other girls. So that made us be in a bad mood and then that made those girls mad so they left. It ended up being a guys night of venting.”

Listen bud, if it’s got four wheels and/or wears a bra it’s gonna give you trouble for the rest of your life (someone very wise told me that). Give yourself a break and don’t start so young. Or it’ll be one eternal headache.

To those non Skyline girls I say…don’t even bother with those boys. Let them all practice and goof up on those Skyline ladies. Then when you’re like 20 something those boys will realize what they’ve been missing out on AND they’ve already learned what NOT to do with you. Perfect. Go for ice cream and a movie with your gal pals until then.

From a shy, nerdy girl:

“I’m thinking of writing a story about how the president of swing club created a mind control device and used it to control the minds of swing club members and used them to take over the school! (Insert evil laugh here)”

But then…so cute:

“I’ll miss you. I’m going to bring you Almond Joys on Thursday.” (I told them that was my favorite trick or treating candy).

How sweet. I’m going to miss these kids.

On another note: I’m so stressed. It seems like every day I think of five new things I need to take care of. Wish things would slow down.

At least my students are cool.

2 comments:

Beckie said...

I'm so loving this assignment idea. And I'm going to use it on my students before I go.

sadie said...

Seriously, those are gems. Did anyone bear their testimony? I had some journal entries like that. Very cute. Of course they would resent the fact that I called it "cute."