Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Best of Substitute Teaching

Here's some highlights and low lights of my time working as a sub in the Lakewood City School District:

1. 2nd grader coming into class and gasping, "A sub!? She's beautiful." And then running and giving me a hug.

2. Having a high schooler ask me if I was white.

3. An elementary school folk dancing assembly which ended with me in a chain of fourth graders doing the bunny hop.

4. Playing catch with a severely autistic student with one of the those big plastic grocery store balls.

5. Being caught off guard by another severely autistic student when he emerged from his napping space completely naked from the waist down after having peed everywhere.

6. Playing the piano for a choral class. (smithishot@hotmail.com)

7. Disappointing a Spanish class by actually speaking Spanish.

8. Boring a history class with a discussion on Communism vs. Capitolism when all they want to do is get to the assignment their teacher left them.

9. Watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air with a class of under achievers.

10. Having angel classes with awesome plans and being able to read ALL day.

11.Knowing probably 50% of the 7th grade students names at Harding Middle School and having them be excited to see me.

12. Being totally ignored by off task High schoolers.

13. Students recognizing me and saying hello around town.

14. Using the same activity with 7th graders that I did the day before with 2nd graders and having them both be excited and engaged in it.

My biggest complaint with substitute teaching is the inconsistency. Except for that its not a bad gig. I still get to feel kind of like a teacher but without all the work and responsibility. On good days its like teaching. On bad days its like extreme babysitting. I don't want to have to do it for too much longer (I can't afford to really) but it hasn't been all bad..

"Hey teacher leave those kids alone!" -- Pink Floyd

5 comments:

Megan Olson said...

Oh that is fantastic!!!

Melissa E Photography said...

#2 and #3--> LOL!

I'd like to hear your lecture on Capitalism vs. Communism now.

sadie said...

Loving this. Especially the second grader, "She's beautiful." It makes me miss teaching.

MollyEmma said...

I could handle reading this blog because it was short enough for my attention span. I probably was one of those annoying kids in highschool when a sub was there...in fact I am pretty sure I just did not go to class.

-Mo

Beckie said...

I get teaching ideas from other peoples' blogs. So now I'd like to know what that activity was that you used with 2nd and 7th graders.

Or else I might have to show my classes Fresh Prince. I wouldn't even be embarrassed about it.