Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day

First up I'm home and so is Ryan and its awesome.

Secondly, yesterday was Earth Day. I subbed for a social studies class and the teacher left a video on global warming. In a few of the more mature classes I started a discussion on global warming and what they thought about it. Typical of teenagers there was a wide range of opinions all of them super dramatic...
some had no concern for any of it real or not...
some didn't believe it was happening at all...
some believed that it will soon destroy our earth and our lives...
some believed that it was a hopeless situation and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.
I asked the class how they personally could help reduce global warming and when I suggested walking, or riding the bus instead of driving everywhere they scoffed...how lame...when I suggested a bike one girl pointed out that bikes were made in factories and that factories cause lots of pollution (good point)....I countered by telling her that once a bike is made there are no emissions when you use it...smart aleck (but clever) girl says:
"Well don't we emit carbon dioxide when we exhale?"
Me hesitantly, "Yes,,,"
"If I rode a bike everywhere I'd breath heavier, that'd be bad for the environment."
10 points for that girl.

So all that thinking and talking got me thinking about my own solution for global warming and I think I came up with a pretty solid one that will make the maximum amount of people happy.

Complete annihilation of the human race.

Its a quick and efficient solution to our problem...Conservatives will be happy because they'll go straight to heaven because they were right all along. Liberals will be happy because its dramatic and lasting and a complete departure from traditional methods. With humans gone the environment wins.

Polar bears will rule the earth.

So simple. I bet you're embarrassed you didn't think of it.

3 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

"Conservatives will be happy because they'll go straight to heaven because they were right all along. Liberals will be happy because its a dramatic and lasting change."

hahahaha... so funny and so true.

Genius idea!

sadie said...

Good idea. Can we wait to implement this plan until me and all my posterity are dead anyway?

You're home? Sweet. I want to come see you.

Lisa Hale said...

i'm sitting in a way boring workshop with too much spare time.. so I am finally being a good friend and reading your blog (not bc I have to but bc I love your style of writing)... and in the silence of the room where we are all "working" I find my self laughing out loud bc of your "solution".
Very clever.