Monday, April 11, 2011

The Interpretation of Amputation

Couple nights ago I had a dream that I found a small lump on my right hand. In my dream I saw a doctor for something routine like a physical and thought maybe it would be a good idea to show her (the doctor was a woman...I bet you assumed it was a man didn't you? Racist.) the lump.

Without doing anything more than looking at it the doctor gave me some serious news.

Dream Doctor: Yes, we'll have to amputate.

Dream Me: I'm sorry?

DD: Your arm. This is very serious. You'll lose your arm below your elbow.

DM: That seems pretty severe. Don't you want to biopsy it? Or maybe just cut out the lump?

DD: Nope. I've seen this before. Amputation is the only solution.

DM: I think I want a second opinion.

I woke up and did a quick count of my limbs.

Later I shared my dream with my aunt. Who helpfully had her dream book (a book that interprets your dreams...it was like a dream dictionary) out in her car. She ran and got it.

First she looked up lump (see also tumor/cancer) which represented hopelessness, self-pity, loss or waste of life.

Then amputation: something in your life, a belief, is weighing you down, holding you back that you need to let go of or cut loose (a little on the nose maybe). Amputation of the right arm specifically meant that you aren't giving enough to yourself or others (left hand meant you weren't receiving enough).

Finally a doctor in a dream represents a spiritual guide to help you on your path of healing.

Eerily, this kind of hit a mark with me. Maybe my aunt is the next Joseph. I'll keep a sharp eye and see if she predicts the death of a baker.

After the interpretation of my dream my grandma asked my aunt to look up what it meant if she dreamed that she went to Wendover with Brother and Sister Johnson to help them find a condo...the dream dictionary is good... but I don't know if its that good.


1 comment:

sadie said...

You meant sexist, right?

And what does your witch doctor...I mean aunt say about dreams with people losing their teeth. And more importantly, about the people who find that hysterical?