Thursday, March 15, 2012

It's Elmo's World

Last week I reached the end of my 30 Rock queue on Netflix (the horror!). Casting around for something else I watched the documentary titled "Being Elmo" which as I'm sure you can deduce is about the creater/actor/muppeteer that gave the world the little, red, furry monster Elmo.

(Is anyone else surprised that the person responsible for such a lovable child-like character is a tall, handsome, big hearted black man. I may have a type...)

The documentary was charming. Its no secret that I love the Muppets. And you'd have to have a real stone cold heart to not feel a little warm and soft inside when you see Elmo hug a sick child and tell him "Elmo loves you" followed by that adorable giggle.

Fast forward to this week. My classes are currently learning about the things of historical importance in the early 20th century. We've been learning about radios and radio plays. Next week they will create and produce their own radio plays. In preparation we covered a bit on sound effects. I found myself searching through videos of a voice actor named Fred Newman who was a sound effect guy on A Prairie Home Companion and Between the Lions. He also, apparently was a frequent visitor on everyone's favorite Street. The one Elmo lives on.

I showed the kids this video of Fred visiting Elmo and demonstrating some mouth noises. It was incredible to see their reaction. Elmo had their complete attention. They were smiling and laughing and more than a few, without any self-consciousness or prompt followed along with Fred's "popping" demonstration. These are teenagers. Responding to Sesame Street . Delightful.

Maybe my lessons would be more engaging if I used a sock puppet from now on.

(I showed the kids clip from A Prairie Home Companion before the Sesame Street one and upon seeing Fred Newman, one of the kids (an African refugee no less) yelled, "That guy is on Sesame Street!" Cute.)

No comments: