Monday, February 8, 2010

6 Word Memoir

While getting my daily dose of NPR today (total nerd, I know) they did a segment on some people who are compiling a book of 6 word memoirs. Apparently this isn't a new idea...they opened the segment by sharing an anecdote of someone asking Hemingway to write a six word novel. He penned:

For sale: baby shoes. Never worn.

Amazing! Whole story told right there. It reminded me of my favorite super bowl ad.

I was inspired to write my own and without hardly thinking about it at all I came up with:

Still can't get what I want.

I realized how selfish and ugly and ungrateful that sounded so I wrote a second chapter:

But I have what I need.

(I think I was subconsciously channeling the Stones) I guess that that's actually a 12 word memoir which is cheating but I'll just use them one at a time depending on my attitude (hopefully the first will hide away most the time).

In a world where we're learning to express ourselves in 140 characters or less I thought the 6 word memoir was very clever.

You should try it and submit them...I'd love to read them.

5 comments:

Jillian said...

That reminds me of when Chris Smith saw me this last fall and he said describe what your life is like now in 5 words. Immediately, without even thinking I replied, "Still live with the parents". Maybe that's when I decided to move out!

Heather said...

I told my mom you said that. Because I thought it was funny and somehow she got mad at me.

I don't get it either.

.:kj:. said...

I have my seniors do this! They're not always so creative. I'm not sure I could do it. I'm a chicken :)

sadie said...

I will have to think about this. All that is coming now is thinking about diapers, binkis and slobbery kisses. Hopefully that isn't my entire life in a nutshell.

Lisa Hale said...

Here is the first one that came to mind. And, like yours, sounds depressing and bitter... I will have to write a second chapter like you did. Here is the knee-jerk reaction (prob. bc I just read your "polygamy" post) :

Beautiful, accomplished, and lonely: walking oxymoron.

Like I said, don't think of me as uber-cynical... maybe this would be a more accurate picture:

Expects men to be mind readers.

Dang it! Still kind of downer-esque.
Ok, the inspiration just hit.. and I think this is the most accurate picture for both of us Heath:

Guided, blessed, and waiting for more.