Saturday, September 24, 2011

You know you're old when...

For most of my life my dad has lived in a very remote part of Utah. When I was a kid and he'd come down from his mountain to see me, he and my stepmom had a lot of things they needed to get done while the were in the big city. Things like buy groceries. One of the regular stops they made was at RC Willey. I HATED going to RC Willey. It took so long! It was just standing around, listening to grown-ups talk about boring stuff (side note: When I was very small I used to think that when grown-ups talked to each other they were speaking a different language because I never understood any of it.). Well today, life has come full circle. Today I wandered into RC Willey of my own free will and choice. Because I wanted to. This is how I know I'm old.

Then tonight in a totally unconnected incident my friend Molly told me that she knew she was old when all the players on her favorite sports teams started becoming younger than her.

This got me thinking and I've thought of a whole bunch of those instances. The following is a list of moments when I knew I was old:


  • When I realized I was older than all the heroines in any coming of age novel I read.
  • When, as a teenager, pushing my youngest sister around in a shopping cart, I got asked how old my baby was.
  • Being the oldest of seven and having three siblings over twenty
  • Getting my health insurance card in the mail with only my name on it.
  • I realized that Lagoon sucks. And Halloween.
  • Listening to NPR everyday and liking it.
  • Being mistaken for a PARENT of a student instead of student (why do they never think I'm a teacher?!)
  • My two youngest sister's not knowing who Timon and Pumba are
  • Having to buy toilet paper for the first time
  • Being able to remember a time before you had to take your shoes off to go through airport security
  • When, at 14 years old, I got hit on by a Chili's waiter. In front of my mom.
When did you know you were old?


2 comments:

The Buttars Family said...

Signing my life away on our mortgage, listening to talk radio more often than music, and my students not knowing what TGIF was.

Tali Nay said...

unless you went to RC Willey for the free hot dogs. then you're safe and still not an adult.