Friday, February 22, 2008

People Who Need People

I had a friend tell me the other day that I was the least needy person she knew. Before I could protest she stopped me and pointed out that she didn't say I wasn't needy I was just less needy than other people. I can't really say if that's true or not, all I know is that I do need people. I don't need them to go to the bathroom with me, or to go to the grocery store. I don't need them to pick out new shoes with me or to go get something to eat. Heck, I don't even really need people to talk to if I have something good to read or there is a good show on TV. (Sidenote: I've found that this makes me a really low matienence girlfriend so if you're male and single and that's what you're looking for give me a call...or should I say Sadie, if you know anyone male and single and they want a cactus and not a rose bush for a girlfriend give them my number).

So how does this make me needy? I need people who care...about me. I don't need them to agree with me or approve of what I do. I don't need them to disagree or disapprove. I simply need them to care and because I care about them I'll do my best to please them...I want to be someone worth caring about.

This comment made by my friend has led me to consider who I need and why. And I've realized that people in your life have as much importance as you give them. They care because I care. I care because they care. It's the great circle of life...kind of. I guess it all boils down to time. Time given = caring. That's probably why we love our mothers so much, they care more than anyone else (except spouses I'm told) about us. And they show it by devoting most if not all of their time to your needs (going with you to pick out shoes, taking you to the bathroom, getting you something to eat...) How can you help but love someone who's life is devoted to making you happy? That kind of love is intoxicating...addicting even...we NEED it. But you can't get it until you give it. The Beatles probably wrote a song about that...

Anyway, this blog might leave you wondering Who Heather Cares about and if you are one of those people that she needs...the fact that you are reading this means yes, friend, you most definitely are.

Peace.

2 comments:

MollyEmma said...

Oh Barb. I just cried because of your last paragraph. Everyone likes to be needed. It's nice to know that you really are needed, also.
-Nic

sadie said...

Nice. And I think you make a great girlfriend. You have just the right balance of "neediness"--not to be confused with nerdiness.