Thursday, April 17, 2008

Baby Mama

I really have a ton to do and I haven't been blogging as a result but I'm at the lab for like the third straight night in a row and I don't know if I'll be leaving anytime soon but I just wanted to empty my head of at least this thought. I have a lot of potential blogs buzzing around in my head but I haven't had time to write them...I can do this one fast though...:

I realize that television and movies are not accurate portrayals of the lives, activities and beliefs of the American people but when it comes to stuff outside of the church I kind of can't help but take their word for how things are. This being said I've been seeing something in television and movies that kind of disturbs me: older, single, career women wanting to have test tube babies.

I'm only twenty-two and I totally understand the want and the need to have a baby (just ask Sadie). And as a member of the church I believe that their is no greater cause that I could devote my life to, so single, older ladies I feel for you. Sometimes my biggest fear is not that I won't get married, but that I won't have the chance to be a mother. I realize that the two are not mutually exclusive and that's why I can't understand these women who cut out the middle man (literally).

Lets evaluate this for a second...for whatever reason these 40+ women have never been married (or maybe they have been but divorced and there were no children) but all of them have failed to have long-lasting important relationships. I'm sure one of the reasons is because they are so career oriented and not willing to make sacrifices. In a word, they are selfish. And because they are selfish, they are alone, and because they are alone they're depressed and because they're depressed they want to bring to life a creature who's existence is completely dependent on them. Who will love them unquestioningly. Who doesn't want that after all?

My advice to these women...GET A DOG!

You couldn't get pregnant the real way because of selfishness, and you think that selfishness is going to go away because you have a kid that is totally dependent on you. Motherhood is the most thankless, self-sacrificing job in the world. If you can't establish a give and take, communicative, loving, relationship with another mature adult what makes you think you will be able to do it with a being who ONLY takes and CAN'T communicate? It just doesn't really make sense to me.

Now the point that I haven't factored into the equation is that some of these women are not choosing to be single. And I feel for those gals. Sometimes men are jerks and sometimes (actually all the time) its better to be single than to be in a bad relationship. But to you my advice still applies...get a dog. A dog won't blame you for how screwed up it is after eighteen years of your care. It will just be glad to see you.

I guess this was brought on by a House episode where a woman and her baby were near death all because she was so old. She would have rather died than abort the unhealthy fetus that was killing her. That fetus was all she had. If she had gotten it together in her thirties she wouldn't have this problem. Also the movie Baby Mama is coming out. I'm actually really excited about it because I have a girl-crush on Tina Fey. Tina Fey's characters are usually always these pathetic baby-hungry women I'm talking about but I can love her because in real life she is married and has a daughter and gives credit for her stability and happiness to her husband and child.

Family is where it is at.

I hate doing homework right now.

Someone near me in the lab has really bad foot odor.

"One love, we get to share it. It will leave you baby if you don't care for it." -- U2

3 comments:

Beckie said...

Ah. I see now. It is all coming together. You have been setting up this forum for your comments only to eventually lead to your ultimate sinister end: PROMOTION OF THE CANINE SPECIES!!

I'm sorry but Heather, you're going about it all wrong. Getting these women a dog would not help them overcome their selfishness and career-orientation. It would make it worse!

A cat, on the other hand, makes a great starter pet and baby-trainer. After owning a dog these ladies would still be just as selfish and still not know how to raise a child; but a cat, who, like a baby, takes-takes-takes and can't communicate back, would get them started on the rehabilitation route. It takes a lot of work to please a cat, but it's well worth their love and trust when you finally gain it. Once they've learned how to care for a kitty, they will be much better prepared for having a baby!

Great blog, by the way. :)

sadie said...

Dogs are cute. Babies are cuter. Sorry.

Jillian said...

Have you seen Baby Mama? I've just seen the previews and do you want to know my favorite one? Do you? The one where the toilet is child proof and she can't figure out how to open the lid so she goes potty in the sink. hahaha!! This just reminds me of the time Melissa Godfrey Lusty pooped in my bathroom sink. I still don't know why to this day.