Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quote Wall

On my facebook profile I've gotten into the habit of posting any and all quotes that I happen to hear and like. I've used my facebook profile for the lack of a better alternative. My roommate Beckie informed me that she has never read through all of the quotes on my facebook profile because there are so many so I'm going to "simplify, simplify" (see what I did there...Thoreau?) and start using my blog as a place to put those thoughts and ideas that are so pleasing to me. I figure people visit my blog expecting to read what I think whereas they are visiting my facebook profile to see who I'm flirting with online or to see pictures of me at parties or whatever. Basically my blog is a more appropriate place for important thoughts. So anyway here's what I've accumulated:

"We do not need more intellectual power, we need more moral power. We do not need more knowledge, we need more character. We do not need more government, we need more culture. We do not need more law, we need more religion. We do not need more of the things that are seen, we need more of the things that are unseen.... If the foundation is firm, the superstructure will stand." Calvin Coolidge

"I've never tasted heaven but I've smelled Joseph Smith." -- Sue Barton

"Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen."
--John Le Carre

"It seems to me that if you can't trust...you can't be trusted." -- Ben Folds

"We're living the law of consecration, what's mine is his and vice versa, except I don't need any of his stuff so...whatevski" -- Elder Ryan Barton about his greenie.

I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.
I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given
-- Emily Dickinson

"I'm not Irish or Catholic, but I am Irish Catholic." -- Guy in the grocery store

"Everybody laughs, everbody cries, sure it can hurt you baby but give it a little try. See that's the thing about love..." -- Alicia Keys

"Does it look like I'm losing control?!...My pants are kind of wet." -- Heidi Lamb

"Everything is the worst." -- Liz Lemon

"If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing really great will ever happen."

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know" -- Harry S. Truman

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well you might find you get what you need." -- Rolling Stones

"It's never a mistake to care about someone." -- Erika Johnsen

"Life, believe, is not a dream
So dark, as sages say:
Oft a little morning rain
Foretells a pleasent day."
-- Charlotte Bronte

"The best books...are those that tell you what you know already." -- George Orwell

"There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad." -- George Orwell

"Roastnuts chesting on an open fire..." --Micahel Barton

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Pain throws your heart to the ground, love turns the whole thing around. Fear is a friend who's misunderstood, but I know the heart of life is good." -- John Mayer

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." -- Paul McCartney

"They'll come for the cleavage, they'll stay cause you're a good person." -- Sue Barton (thanks mom)

"I'd like to think that the best of me, is still hiding up my sleeve." -- John Mayer

Anyway, not that exciting really. I just wanted a more permanent place to put these little gems and my blog won over my facebook profile. I can't decide if I want to add to this blog as I encounter new quotes or I want to make new posts as they come along...we'll cross that bridge as we come to it.

Also, how do you all feel about quoting yourself? Weird or cool?

"I feel like a quote out of context" -- Ben Folds.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

It's cool especially when you have good things to say and you, Heath, always have good things to say. I should probably add qoutes on mine. I am a qoute LOVER!

Alan said...

"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." -George Bernard Shaw

Beckie said...

See? Much nicer in this context. I love it.

I feel like the best part about a quote is using it in context somewhere. So it's good to collect them so you know where you can find them when you need them so you can use them!

sadie said...

My favorites were the three Barton quotes. Oh Sue!