Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Unencumbered, numbered words

Being the mediocre student that I am I would like to take this time that I could and should be doing homework to post some of my favorite words.

I like these words for their etymology, orthography, phonology, and/or semantics. So without further ado and in no particular order:

apogee
archipelago
veracity
ambiguous
cartography
necromancy
melancholy
masochistic
grotto
ersatz
bowson
satiate
placenta
coup d'etat
hysteria
heliocentric
monochromatic
thesaurus
narcoleptic
audacity
crenshaw
crecent
asparagus

pomegranate
pineapple

I'll probably add to this list as I encounter more of my favorite world-expanding treasures.

"I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror and bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer. My breath fogged up the glass so I drew a new face and laughed." -- Jason Mraz

4 comments:

sadie said...

What about pineapple? I've always liked that word.

Heather said...

you know I was going to put it on there but then I didn't. Good thing its not too late.

Jalayne said...

My favorite word is duodenum

Jillian said...

Now give definitions of each of these words. yes?