Saturday, April 5, 2008

Waist Deep

I've been a full-time student for roughly eighteen years now. That's a lot considering that I have only been alive for twenty-three. As a result I've gotten pretty good at sitting and listening to people tell me stuff. It probably wasn't until sometime in junior high that I began to wonder if all the things that these people (teachers) were telling me were true/right/correct. Thus the seeds of doubt were sown. Ever since then its been my job (as a student and a member of the human race) to wade through a vast sea of predjudice, opinion, perception, misinformation, and plain old b.s. in search of absolute truth. (In my opinion we are all looking for truth. Some of us are more active in our search and some are better at finding it than others but we're all still looking nonetheless).

Needless to say its exhausting to always be wondering if you can believe what you are hearing when you're hearing stuff most of the day. And that is why it is so refreshing to sit and listen for eight hours every six months to messages that you don't have to doubt for a single second. Of course I'm talking about General Conference. I loved Elder Oak's talk on testimony when he described that knowledge comes through two channels: we recieve personal knowledge through the Holy Ghost and knowledge through church leaders. Because I personally have gained the knowledge that the fifteen men that lead our church are prophets, seers and revelators I naturally believe that whatever they say is truth. It's not blind obedience...its knowledge. Just thinking about it makes me breathe a sigh of relief. I know that I will never be led astray or decieved by these men. They have no hidden agenda and stand nothing to gain from telling me falsehoods...I love Conference. It makes my search for truth so much easier.

"It's funny how many times they prove that the only true fortune you can save is the truth." -- The Beautiful Girls

4 comments:

sadie said...

I agree. There's nothing like being wrapped up in a blanket on the couch and listening to general conference. I think they should have it at least once a month.

Beckie said...

Heather, you bore your testimony on the internet! Go on a mission already.

Heather said...

Why do I need to go on a mission when I can reach the whole wide world on this blog?

Jillian said...

Funny thing is, I thought the same exact thing when I was listening to conference only my thoughts were much simpler...